Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Quickly find shipping information in Gmail

My wife uses a Hotmail account for her email, and the other day I noticed a "Quick Views" section in her Hotmail.  One of the Quick Views is titled "Shipping Updates". 

Clicking this link filtered out all of her emails that had to do with shipping information.  Pretty handy!

Since I am a Gmail user, I figured the same thing would be possible in my favorite email service as well, so I tried to figure out how to make this happen in Gmail.  It's really not too difficult, and a lot of people probably already know how to do this.

Basically, I used a custom search to find shipping related emails in my Gmail account.  In order to save that search, I used the Gmail Labs feature, "Quick Links".  Here is what I did:

In Gmail, click on your "Settings" link in the upper right corner:


Next, click on the "Labs" tab in your settings.  (Note:  If you don't see the "Labs" tab in your settings, your browser may not be compatible with Gmail labs - see this Google help page for more information).


Now, scroll down to the "Quick Links" labs feature, and click the "Enable" option:


Scroll up or down to the "Save Changes" button, and click it:


Now, go back to your Gmail inbox, and enter a search phrase to find emails with shipping information, and click the "Search Mail" button.  Here is the search string I used:

"tracking number" OR "ship to" OR "has shipped" OR "shipment confirmation"

And here is what it looked like after I clicked the "Search Mail" button:


Now, to save this search to your quick links, click the "Add Quick Link" link on the left pane of your Gmail:


Enter a custom name for you saved search and click "OK" (I picked "ShippingInfo"):


Now, anytime you want to get a list of emails that have to do with shipping information, just click the "ShippingInfo" link under your "Quick Links"!














No comments:

Post a Comment