Saturday, October 31, 2009

jQuery - Custom Events

As mentioned in a recent post, I mentioned that I have really been enjoying the book, "jQuery Enlightenment".  Another thing I learned while reading this book was how you can create a custom event on an element (standard events being events like click, mouseover, etc.).  Something seemed really cool about custom events - I'm not exactly sure how I would use them, but I know that I want to remember them, which is why I'm posting this.

If I had a span element, I could use a custom event to make it alert a message.  (True, I could just use a click event, but like I said, I'm sure down the road I will have a good use for this).

Here's how to assign the event with jQuery:

$('span').bind('myOwnEvent', function(){
    alert("My Own Event works!");
});


Then, to execute (or trigger) the custom event, use jQuery again:

$('span').click(function(){
    $(this).trigger('myOwnEvent');
});


What I am not clear on right now is that if this is possible with native JavaScript or not - I like to know the "JavaScript theory" behind the jQuery methods - I'll have to do some research on that.

I'll end this post like my last one:

I am learning so much from this book, "jQuery Enlightenment".  I thought I knew a bit about jQuery, but this book has helped me learn so much more.  I highly recommend you go to the site and buy it.  Thanks Cody!



No comments:

Post a Comment