Friday, April 24, 2009

Google Me

I heard some buzz about the new Google “Me” Profiles and thought I’d check mine out.  Apparantly you go to google and search for me (you need to be logged into your Google account) and it will bring up your profile.  I did this, but saw nothing.  I guess at one time I had selected a privacy that prevented my profile from showing up in Google.

After some searching, I found the URL to visit to change your profile is http://www.google.com/profiles

I’m not exactly sure what the end result is useful for yet – now people should be able to search for my name and pull up my profile.  You can add links to your profiles on other social networks too – maybe Google is trying to create a “center of the universe” for all social networks?

After you’ve saved everything, people can view your profile, and send you emails (without even seeing your email address).  I’m sure Google Profiles will evolve a lot in the next year… we’ll see!

Here’s a good summary help page of Google Profiles: http://www.google.com/support/accounts/bin/answer.py?answer=97703&hl=en

There’s also a help page that shows how you can Verify your Name so you can get a Name Verified Badge.  You have to sign into Google Knol to do this, and apparently you have to write a Knol or a comment in order to enable the “My profile” drop down on Knol.

No comments:

Post a Comment